Thursday, May 23, 2019

Why did you choose your career?

"To be or not to be,  that is the question"  William Shakespeare

Big decisions usually find yourself at a crossroads; especially when you are a teenager and your future professional life depends on your wise determination today. This is when you realize that you are a young adult with a huge responsibility...your future. But did it happen that you didn´t know what to study when you finished high school?

When I was at primary school, I thought of becoming a doctor, an architect, an engineer and also … a cartoonist (an artist in drawing cartoons). Cartoon magazines—Disneyland, Condorito, Mickey mouse—were quite common for everyone…


During high school, I developed a liking for languages, mainly English, and science, particularly through the subjects of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Computers did not exist and Internet existed only in my dreams; but, I have dear memories of my  teacher of biology who was then the Wikipedia/Internet application that opened my mind to biology, pushing me to uncover the mysteries of life; I also have wonderful memories of the chemistry lab sessions and I still have an excellent book of physics with plenty of information to fill my need of learning.

What would I study when I finished high school? Well, I must say that the possibilities were not many. Why? Simple, money. Although you could start almost any career, some of them were, and still are, quite expensive. Medicine, engineering and architecture demanded expensive materials that my family could not afford. So, as English was—and still is—important, I decided to learn English following the teaching profession.

I became a teacher of social English and had the opportunity and luck of having training in scientific English  as part of my studies at the university. This training in scientific English brought me to the Fac. of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences; has allowed me to work in various fields at different places (Economics, Nutrition, Medical Technology, Civil Engineering ...); has permitted me to be the editor of a Scientific English Newsletter; and also be visiting Professor in academic activities.

My liking of English, teaching, and science is evidenced through the design and creation of a website with Scientific English exercises.  So, as you may see, English and Science have united in the end. 


&&&&&

It´s your turn now; tell me about:

- your dream jobs when you were a child
- other career options that you had at the moment of applying to university
- what made you decide in the end
- your experience at university until now
- the kind of job you would like to have
 
Minimum number of words :130 
Remember to make a comment on your teacher's post and comments on three classmates' posts.

31 comments:

  1. I like as you put together the science and the english language, you killed two birds with one stone!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camila,
      When you are at a crossroads, you have to find a suitable road ...
      See you,

      Delete
  2. I love that you can complement humanistic studies (learn languages) with scientific studies, and you quoted a genius i love Shakespeare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniela,
      I agree with you, Shakespeare is one of the great minds of the world.
      See you,

      Delete
  3. I understand, and i think same, it wonderful find one thing that match all somethings that we like. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scarleth,
      We should all try to do our best to feel comfortable at work and at home. Thank you.
      See you,

      Delete
  4. It's really good that you are interesting in languages, humanistic studies and sciences. I think that is difficult to find a person that participate in the 3 areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gustavo,
      Both science and humanistic studies should be complementary areas.
      See you,

      Delete
  5. It´s interesting how at the end your interest in science and languages joined

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mónica,
      Life is funny... Anyway, you can do almost anything you try if you are persistent and you like it.
      See you,

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how studying a language opened the doors to many more things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia,
      Learning any language is much more than just communicating one another. Through them, you learn people's way of thinking, their culture, ...
      See you,

      Delete
  7. It must be really difficult work in fields so different from each other, it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Felipe,
      I has not been hard to me; it has meant fun, growth,...
      See you,

      Delete
  8. It´s so cool how you could unite the two things that you love on your job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lukas,
      Thank you. It's always nice to do what you like best.
      See you,

      Delete
  9. It’s fantastic how you could join this two part of your life that you wanted but you thought that it couldn't be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francisca,
      That's part of my winding road.
      See you,

      Delete
  10. It's true, the decision choose the career is very important and difficult

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belén,
      And it is such a big decision for all of you in times of constant change...How will our life be in 10 years time?
      See you,

      Delete
  11. Be what makes you happy that is the answer, in the end you have been able to complement two parts that you passionate about your life to be what you are today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicolás,
      I hope you find your road to happiness in this changing world.
      See you,

      Delete
  12. I am glad that you have been able to complement both dreams in one. :)
    Apparently also as a child you liked to draw, me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francisca,
      Drawing is fun and good for your imagination and creativity.
      See you,

      Delete
  13. It's amazing how in your profession you have been able to put the English together with the sciences and find a way to teach it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marcelo,
      Have you imagined your life in ten years' time? You will live in a quite different city with plenty of changes... it should be fun.
      See you,

      Delete
  14. It's wonderful when you can put together two things that you love and make them a better thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,
      Nice to know that you think so. I hope you find happiness doing what you are studying now.
      See you,

      Delete
  15. your story looks very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that big decisions can ve changed in the way we follow our dreams

    ReplyDelete